Direct Action Notes, 1/21/12January 24th
- Blockade Wells Fargo
until they dump CCA (Corrections Corporation of America) and GEO stock! Tell them to divest in for-profit prisons and invest in humanity! We'll meet at 11a.m. @ Legislative Plaza to make signs, gather, and march to Wells Fargo at 230 4th Avenue North at noon. Our action at Wells Fargo will last from 12-3. People can come and go as they need.
- More info at http://occupynashville.org/calendar/
- We need people to come for different shifts, if possible… 11-12, 12-1, 1-2, 2-3. Tristan will be at Wells Fargo from 12-1. January 25th
- One year anniversary of the Egyptian uprising and occupation of Tahrir square!
- We had discussed a march, but since that is not as feasible this week, we’re going to plan speeches/statements of solidarity at the GA’s on the 24th and 26th. We encourage people to wear blue bras (outside of clothes) or just the color blue in solidarity with Egyptian women and their rights. February 4th
- A national day of action to protest the war in Iran
… “NO WAR, NO SANCTIONS, NO INTERVENTION, NO ASSASSINATIONS”
- See: https://www.facebook.com/events/214341975322807/
- Eric, Michael, and Jane will be working on getting educational info to ON about the war in Iran
- In framing this, we need to make the connection to the corporations that make up the military industrial complex who stand to make enormous profits from more unjust warsFebruary 12th-18th
- Focus on Healthcare Week!
- Various teach-ins will be planned for the 12th
- On the 14th, Valentine’s Day, we’re planning to take Valentines to some of the clinics in the community that are doing a good job. We’ll also work with some of the workers at Vanderbilt Medical Center… more info to come.
- We’re planning an action against HCA… more info to come.
- *If you want to help us plan this week, email firstname.lastname@example.orgApril 15th
- Tax Day
- We’re brainstorming ideas… we could do a “penny poll”
where people are given 100 pennies and asked to allocate how much they would give to things like healthcare, the military, education, social services, etc. (Google “penny poll” to see what this could look like)… discuss what participatory budgeting could look like in the U.S.
- Talk to the War Resister’s League
*We also are beginning to discuss strategies on how to respond to the bill that has just been introduced into the Tennessee State Legislature AND how to respond to pending arrests if/when they occur. Bring your thoughts and ideas to the plaza!